The Masters is golf’s premier event and for most people, getting there is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Going to the Masters for the first time? Here are some of our Masters tips to help you make the most of your time in Augusta.
When is the Masters Golf Tournament?
The Masters Golf Tournament always takes place in the first full week of April. The 2019 Masters begins with the first practice round on Monday, April 8 and concludes with the fourth round on Sunday, April 14, 2019.
Going to future Masters? Here are the dates for the next few years:
2020 Masters Dates: April 6-12, 2020
2021 Masters Dates: April 5-11, 2021
2022 Masters Dates: April 4-10, 2022
Where is the Masters held?
The Masters takes place every year at Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia.
How can I get tickets to the Masters?
Augusta National releases a limited number of tickets through their website via a lottery system. As one of the hottest tickets in sport, obtaining these lottery tickets is no easy feat. Our best advice is to keep trying, cross your fingers and you may end up one of the lucky few.
Roadtrips’ Masters Travel Experiences include Masters tickets (known as badges) to your choice of rounds, as well as your choice of first class accommodations, transfers to and from Augusta National Golf Course, on-site host services, and many more optional extras.
How to get into The Masters
Some of the ways golfers can qualify for the Masters are as follows:
- Previous Masters Champions
- Winner of the other 3 Grand Slams (US Open, British Open, PGA Championship) –
- Honorary, non-competing after 5 years
- Past winners of The Players Championship (3 years)
- Summer Games Gold Medal Winner (1 year)
- US Amateur Champion or runner-up (Honorary, non-competing after 1 year)
- British Amateur Champion (Honorary, non-competing after 1 year)
- Current Asia-Pacific or Latin America Amateur Champion
- Reigning US Mid-Amateur Champion
- Top 12 players (including ties) from the previous year’s Masters
- Top 4 players (including ties) from the previous year’s US Open, British Open, and PGA Championship
- PGA Tour event winners that award a full-point allocation for the Tour Championship (from previous Masters to current Masters)
- Golfers who qualify for the previous year’s Tour Championship
- The 50 leaders of the Official World Golf Ranking (final ranking of the previous calendar year)
- The 50 leaders on the Official World Golf Ranking released the week prior to the Masters
Source: Augusta National Golf Club
Masters Golf Tournament Tips
We’ve attended the Masters dozens of times and love to share what we’ve learned over the years with our guests. Some of our favorite tips:
- Bring along or purchase a collapsible chair and claim your spot early in the day. Some of our favorite viewing points include the top of hole 16, Amen corner, the grandstand at 15, and halfway down 13.
- Plan your souvenir purchases carefully. If you buy too early, you’ll be lugging it around all day. But if you buy too late in the tournament, you’ll find little selection left. We recommend purchasing early in the tournament but near the end of the day.
- Though you can’t bring your phone or camera to the tournament rounds, you can still get a picture at the Masters. Near the first hole you’ll find a picture line where the club will take your picture with the magnolias, Masters logo, and clubhouse in the background.
- Make sure to sample the food! Augusta’s pillowy soft pimento cheese sandwiches are legendary, and will only set you back about $1.50.
For more Masters tips, take a look at our travel guide full of tips for attending the Masters, from the practice rounds right through to the tournament rounds, to help you get the most out of your experience.
What is the best day to attend the Masters?
Each day of the tournament offers something a little different and the best day to attend is largely a matter of personal preference.
- Wednesday offers the par 3 contest along with a more relaxed atmosphere and the option to take pictures on the course.
- Thursday or Friday affords the opportunity to see all the golfers in the field, before cuts are made.
- Sunday patrons get to witness the grand finale and often the most exciting golf action of the tournament.
Who makes the cut at the Masters Tournament?
After round two on Friday, the top 50 players (and ties) move on, along with anyone else within 10 strokes of the leader.
Masters Practice Round Tips
The Masters practice rounds take place on the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at the tournament. A few tips if you’re planning on attending one of these days:
- Bring a camera! Cameras are only permitted during the practice round, not during the tournament rounds. This is your opportunity to take pictures on Augusta National.
- While you can take pictures, you still cannot bring your phone onto the course. Make sure you bring an actual camera and don’t try and sneak your phone in. Trust us, they’re very strict on this rule.
- If you decide to split up from others in your party, make a plan on where/when to meet up later. The course is big and busy and the lack of cell phones makes communication obviously difficult.
- Get your shopping done early. Official Masters merchandise is only available at the course during Masters week. As the week goes on, the inventory gets more limited. The earlier in the tournament you go, the better selection you’ll find.
Who is the current Masters Champion?
Patrick Reed won the 2018 Masters Tournament.
What do you get for winning the Masters Golf Tournament?
The winner of the Masters receives the iconic green jacket and also an impressive purse; in 2018, the first place prize money was $1.98 million. Second and Third place prizes aren’t too shabby either; In 2018, second place earned $1.18 million and third earned $748,000.
What is the Champions Dinner at the Masters?
A long-standing tradition, the Champions Dinner is held the Tuesday of Masters week. The exclusive guest list is made up of past Masters champions. Also known as the Masters Club Dinner, the previous year’s Master’s winner acts as host and selects the menu. The dinner is held at Augusta National Golf Club.
What players will be at The Masters?
The official field for the 2019 Masters has not yet been announced. The eligibility list is comprised of a number of categories including past winners of golf’s grand slam tournaments, amateur champions from around the world, and the top ranked players according to the Official World Golf Ranking.
What is the weather like during the Masters?
The weather in April in Augusta is typically quite pleasant, with average daytime highs in the 60s.
What is included in Masters Travel Packages?
Roadtrips’ 2019 Masters packages include Masters Golf Tickets (badges), your choice of first-class accommodations, access to group shuttle service to Augusta National, a Roadtrips on-site host, a Masters commemorative program and gift package, a personalized itinerary, pre-trip travel planning and concierge services, and a number of other extras that can be added to customize your experience.
What are the best spots at Augusta National to watch the Masters?
There’s no one answer here, Augusta National has plenty of great vantage points and of course personal preference plays a factor as well. Some of our favorites include:
- The top of hole 16
- Amen corner
- The grandstand at 15
- Halfway down 13
For more detailed information, along with others Masters tips, check out our Augusta Travel Guide.
How do I get to Augusta National?
Roadtrips’ Augusta guests will have access to the hotel’s group shuttle to Augusta National daily.
Can I get a picture at Augusta National?
While patrons are not permitted to take photos on the course (with the exception of practice rounds), it is possible to get a picture at Augusta National. Near the first hole you’ll likely spot a lineup, this is picture line. The Club will take your picture with the magnolias, Masters logo, and clubhouse in the background. After they have taken your picture, they will give you a small plastic card that will allow you to retrieve the picture online later.
Can I get autographs at The Masters?
Patrons are permitted to request autographs around the practice range and on the Par 3 course during Wednesday’s Par 3 contest. Other than that, the tournament enforces a strict no autograph policy.
What are the best accommodations for the Masters?
There are a few ways to do Augusta and The Masters. If budget allows, we cannot recommend the comfort of a private home enough. The acquiring of luxurious executive homes during Masters week is a tradition that goes way back and is still our favorite way to do the event.
If you’re looking for a luxury hotel experience, you won’t find it in Augusta but there is a fantastic option about 75 miles east in Greensboro. The Ritz Reynolds is perched on a gorgeous piece of property overlooking picturesque Lake Oconee.
That said, the convenience of Augusta holds a lot of appeal. The newly opened Sheraton is a really solid option and the Hilton Home2 Suites offers spacious accommodations, both convenient to restaurants, shops, and most importantly, Augusta National.
Where can we eat at the Masters?
At Augusta National, be sure to check out the food vendors for legendary (and surprisingly inexpensive) items like the famed pimento cheese sandwich. When you’re not on the course, you’ll have plenty to choose from. While Augusta may be a small city, it does have plenty of great dining options from casual to upscale. We’ve noted our favorites in our Augusta Travel Guide.
Tips for Merchandise Shopping at the Masters
One of the grandest traditions of the Masters is shopping for Merchandise. Official Masters merchandise is only available at Augusta National during Masters week. The question isn’t whether you will buy something, it’s when and how much. No doubt you’ll have a long list of requests from friends and family but when to buy it all will require some careful planning.
You’ll want to get your shopping done early to get the best selection (many items sell out) but you’ll also want to avoid carrying it around with you all day on the course. Augusta National has a check stand as well as Federal Express and UPS Shipping Centers located near the exits of the merchandise centers so you can ship your purchases home and not have to worry about lugging your bags around with you.
I’m flying into Atlanta. How do I get from the airport to Augusta?
Many Masters patrons choose to fly into Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL) as it offers a wider range of flight options. From Atlanta, most will rent a car and drive the 2.5 hours to Augusta. Check out our Augusta map for directions.
Where can I park at the Masters?
Complimentary parking is available at Augusta National Golf Club on a first come, first serve basis.
Insider Masters Tips for Custom Package Options
At Roadtrips, we understand that there is no “one-size fits all” package when it comes to experiencing major sporting events. All of our packages are fully customizable but if you need suggestions, here are some possibilities.
Spend the week in lovely Augusta in a private residence, complete with a full staff to cater to your every need. Enjoy all the comforts of home when you’re not at the course. We can arrange a driver to chauffeur you to and from the course each day. Take in the practice rounds where you’ll enjoy a more relaxed atmosphere and the opportunity to take photos on the course. Then continue on to the main event: the tournament rounds complete with access to the luxuries of your chosen hospitality venue. Our onsite host will be at your service to assist with suggestions on how to spend your time in Augusta and where to eat. You may wish to follow up your ultimate Masters experience with some golfing of your own at one of the many incredible courses in the area.
Close to the Course
Augusta is a small city with limited hotel options. Our favorite property in Augusta is the Sheraton. Spend your time in Augusta with easy access to great restaurants and shops as well as Augusta National. Take advantage of our onsite host to get their recommendations on dining and to answer any questions you have while you’re there. Choose to take in the practice rounds or some of the tournament rounds – our sports travel specialists will help you find your perfect fit. If your budget allows, we suggest adding a hospitality option to your package, the perfect way to enhance your experience at Augusta National.
The Golf Resort Experience
There are no luxury properties in Augusta but there is an incredible golf resort just 75 miles away. The Ritz-Carlton Reynolds rests on Lake Oconee and in addition to its stunning scenery, it boasts five championship golf courses. It’s close enough for you to experience the elite golf action at the Masters, yet removed enough that you can enjoy your own personalized golf vacation at one of the finest resorts in the area. Of course we will fully customize your experience with any extras that will make your trip perfect.
When do 2019 Masters packages go on sale?
2019 Masters packages are available now. Contact one of our Sports Travel Specialists to get started planning your experience.