Ipanema is one of those legendary places that you can’t help falling in love with. Immortalized in song back in the 60s by Astrud Gilberto and Stan Getz’s iconic The Girl from Ipanema, this Rio neighborhood is known for its elegant architecture, beautiful people, fabulous bars, shops, and restaurants, and high levels of sophistication. Staying in Ipanema is lots of fun, and we’re excited to be offering two wonderful hotel options there for our 2016 Summer Games Packages, the Caesar Park Ipanema by Sofitel and Golden Tulip Ipanema Plaza. Here’s why we love this neighborhood and can’t wait to get back there next year:
- The Beach. Ipanema Beach is two kilometres (or 1.24 miles) of glorious white sand that gets licked by some serious surf (which may be the reason it got its name, as Ipanema is an indigenous word for bad water). Rio’s most beautiful people congregate here, and there’s no better beach in the city for eye candy (this is after all the home of the string bikini), but the atmosphere is welcoming even if you don’t look like a super model. The beach has a great boardwalk, with bike paths, so it’s a great spot to get a little exercise during your stay.
- The Food Scene. There are some truly excellent restaurants in Ipanema that will allow you to indulge in your favorite international cuisines as well as enjoy tasty local dishes. Visit Rua Dias Ferriera, a street full of fabulous restaurants in adjacent Leblon for some incredible choices. You’ll also find plenty of small places along the beach serving up delicious snacks such as empanadas and grilled corn, along with cold beers and fresh sliced coconuts to sip from.
- The Nightlife. Rio’s young, beautiful, and rich come to hang out in Ipanema. This makes for excellent people watching. The bars and lounges of the many upscale hotels in this neighborhood are a great place to drink and hang out in the evenings, or you can head to the beach bars for a more casual night out.
- Shopping. If you’re one of those people who loves to take home stunning clothes and accessories from your trip, then you’ll love the boutiques and stores in Ipanema. There are exclusive boutiques full of designer clothes in the beautiful old arcades in Ipanema, and when it comes to beachwear you’ll never find a selection anywhere else in the world like you will in Ipanema (beachwear trends start here). Be sure to check out the gemstones and jewelry that Rio is known for, but be sure to check for authenticity before splurging.
- The Mix of People. Yes, Ipanema is known for being an upscale location, but there are also other sides to this neighborhood, which you’ll find if you search out live music (it is the home of bossa nova after all) or attend the famed Hippie Market (real name Feira de Artezanato de Ipanema), an arts and crafts fair where you can pick up locally made art, musical instruments, and Brazilian souvenirs to take home.
- Artistic Diversions. When you need a break from the heat and seek to enrich your visit with a little culture, you can head to Bolsa de Arte or the Galeria de Arte Ipanema, both major art museums with impressive collections of contemporary Brazilian art. Both offer art for sale, so if you want a truly fabulous souvenir to take home, you may well find it here. There are also many small galleries to visit, and a theatre scene to check out should that interest you.
Inspired to book your Summer Games trip? Accommodations are filling fast, so contact us now to find out how we can create the itinerary you want, and show you the very best of Rio when you come as our guest next year.